Things I appreciate more about America:
- Freedom to Information
- After a summer of getting rejected from websites, I’m glad that back home we have unrestricted access to the internet.
- I’ve loved being in China, but the fact that the Chinese are fascinated by “western looking” people shows just how valuable our diverse population is to understand one another.
- Also, we have access to every type of food in the world! This is truly an amazing gift!
- The fact that even our toilet water is drinkable is freaking amazing! Grab a glass, cause others cannot.
- It’s really a good language, I mean Shakespeare used this language! People need to gain a deeper appreciation for the language and true potential. That being said, learn another language, it’ll be good for you!
Things needed for a Summer in China:
- An Open-mind
- Being open to the fact that you’re in a new culture where people act, speak, and behave differently than they do back home will get you further than you think. I’ve met people who’ve come without an open mind and they are both not enjoying their stay, and aren’t the best people to spend your time with.
- It’s not used in China, even though it should be, so if you want it you have to bring your own.
- Hand Sanitizer
- You touch more things in China than you’d care realize so before you eat it’s good to do a little once over. Also, the kind that is sold here smells weird, so stay away.
- Getting sick can happen. You may eat something you shouldn’t have. You may have not consumed enough water, or consumed too much of something else… So look into bringing some advil, tums, anti-diarrhea meds and laxatives (one day you may need one, followed by a day where you need the opposite), as well as some anti-sniffle meds–the air isn’t always the best.
- Comfy walking shoes, I prefer sandals.
- Make sure they are both wet resistant and slip resistant. It rains a lot and all the walk ways are slippery even if someone so much as spits on the pavement.
- Diverse Wardrobe
- Packing light is key, so make sure that whatever you do decide to bring is easily mix-and-matchable. Also, make sure that sweat stains aren’t visible on the clothing. It’s hot here and you’ll sweat more then you think.
Things I miss about America slash What I want to do when I get home:
- Walking on a sidewalk and not having to worry about being hit by a car.
- Take a deep breath! I miss fresh-clean-open-air!
- Look at the Stars
- Eat Cheese, any kind!
- Enjoy Granola, of any variety, but preferably with almonds, raisins, and hopefully chocolate.
- Have some yogurt that isn’t drinkable form and from Greece.
- Hang out with my Friends! I miss being able to relate so easily with people!
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mexican Food
- Cooking my own food
Thank you Kara for doing this on your blog so that I could steal the idea. Also, congrats on the panda! 🙂